Boat goes down – level 2
Some fishing boats should only have 30 to 50 people on board, but there were 700 migrants on one fishing boat.
The boat was on its way to Europe, but it capsized off the coast of Libya. It happened when a rescue boat approached – the people started moving and they capsized the boat. Rescuers saved around 400 people and recovered 25 bodies.
The Mediterranean Sea is the world’s most deadly border area for migrants. So far, more than 2,000 migrants died this year.
Difficult words: capsize (turn over), approach (come), recover (find).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about immigration?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.