Child kills in Nigeria – level 2
A 10-year-old girl came to a crowded market in a city in northeastern Nigeria. She was a suicide bomber. She detonated her bomb and killed 14 people.
An attack like this is not the first one in the city. Six days ago, another suicide bomber killed three policemen. Earlier this month, a female suicide bomber killed at least nine people in the city.
Nobody claimed responsibility for the most recent explosion, but it was similar to the attacks by Boko Haram. Boko Haram is a terrorist organisation which operates in Nigeria.
Difficult words: suicide (the act of killing yourself), detonate (to make a bomb explode), claim responsibility (to say that you did something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What kind of a world is this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.