Christmas in the Zoo – level 1
This news is from London Zoo. The animals get presents early this year.
The Sumatran tiger cubs are six months old. They do not wait to open their Christmas presents.
There are pieces of meat inside colored boxes. It is not usual. The keepers think that it is a really good activity. The cubs are full of energy. This activity takes all of their morning energy. Then they sleep like big kittens.
There are not many Sumatran tigers in the wild today. There are only 400 now. There were 1000 in the 1970s.
These cubs were born in London Zoo in June. They like their presents. Also, the meerkats have presents under a mini Christmas tree.
One of the best things about Christmas is the food. Most animals know that. Turkeys probably do not like Christmas!
Difficult words: early (soon), cub (a baby animal like a bear or a tiger), keeper (a person who looks after animals), kitten (a baby cat), meerkat (a little animal), turkey (a bird – people in the USA eat turkey at Christmas and Thanksgiving).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.