Fire in Dubai – level 2
In Dubai, a fire broke out at a building close to the world’s tallest skyscraper. The Address Downtown Dubai Hotel was in flames. The building that hosts the five-star hotel is 302 metres tall.
The fire started when Dubai prepared to hold a major New Year’s Eve fireworks display. It is still unclear if something connected the two events.
People could see some things falling from the building. Fire fighters arrived at the scene and said they had it under control.
It is not immediately clear whether there were any casualties or what caused the fire.
Difficult words: broke out (started), flames (a fire), casualties (injured or killed people).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this fire in Dubai?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.