Frozen waterfall in China – level 3
How’s this for a winter wonderland? With temperatures reaching as low as -12°C, part of the Hukou Waterfall on China’s Yellow River has frozen over, with spectacular results.
The deep freeze has seen nature transform the landmark into something you’d more likely see at an ice palace, with tourists flocking from across the country to catch a glimpse.
“Ice is everywhere. Icicles on the waterfall, everywhere! I did not know the Yellow River could be frozen, so it’s surprising. I came here specifically for the stunning view of the Yellow River.”
But it could become yet colder. Two years ago, the mercury in the far west of China dropped to a record -40°C. A repeat could mean that the whole of the waterfall will freeze over by the time spring arrives. Plenty of opportunity still then to see a real natural wonder!
Difficult words: winter wonderland (a beautiful place covered with ice and snow), deep freeze (when cold weather happens very quickly and strongly), landmark (a place which a lot of people know), flock (to come in large numbers), catch a glimpse (to have a look), icicle (a hanging piece of ice), stunning (extremely beautiful), mercury (a heavy liquid metal that sits in a thermometer).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Read all today’s articles and translate all words which you don’t understand.
- Read the articles from the day before and see if you remember all new words.
- Listen to all today’s news.
- Stop the video after every sentence and repeat the sentence.
- Repeat point 2 for the news which you listened to the day before.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them into the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for at least 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.