Obama in Vietnam – level 2
Obama received a stylish welcome in Vietnam when he went on his three-day visit. Many people saw the visit as a strategic move from America towards Asia.
In 1995, the USA and Vietnam restored their connections and Obama is the third American president to visit the country since then. Obama said that for the first time in 50 years, the USA is lifting the arms embargo on Vietnam.
Obama also signed an 11.3 billion dollar order for 200 planes by a Vietnamese low-cost airline.
Difficult words: restore (to make something work again), lift (to end), arms (weapons of war), embargo (a ban, a stoppage, a blockage).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.