The Holy Year – level 2
Pope Francis is the first non-European pope in 1,300 years. He has shown his tolerance towards topics like homosexuality. The pope said that the Holy Year will start on December 8th, and that mercy will characterise it.
Until now, the Catholic Church automatically excommunicated women who had abortions. The situation will change during the Holy Year. Pope Francis will give all priests the discretion to forgive women who had an abortion.
Tourists outside the Vatican said that this is positive news. One person said that people change, so the church must change, too.
Difficult words: mercy (forgiveness), excommunicate (to punish someone by no longer allowing him or her to be a member of the Roman Catholic church), discretion (the freedom to decide).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is this good or bad news to you?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.