Turkey shoots down a Russian plane – level 3
Russian President Vladimir Putin has spoken out to say the loss is a stab in the back delivered to them by accomplices of terrorists.
This footage reportedly shows Russian military helicopters searching for the pilot of a downed jet near the Syrian border. Both Turkish military officials and a Russian President Vladimir Putin have verified that the Russian warplane was shot down, although the reasons behind the incident are contradictory.
Turkmen commander Selleck says the jet was taken down after multiple warnings that it was violating their airspace. He says the pilots were retrieved dead after his comrades opened fire into the air. Here he shows a piece of parachute collected from the fallen.
The crew reportedly ejected from the plane before it crashed into the mountains of northern Latakia.
Putin confirmed that the plane was shot down over Syrian territory by an air-to-air missile from a Turkish F-16 aircraft. He adds that the pilots and planes were in no way threatening Turkey and were carrying out their duty to fight Islamic State. A Syrian military source said the incident is now under investigation.
Difficult words: stab in the back (when you do something bad to a friend), accomplice (a person who helps someone), footage (video), reportedly (according to some), verify (to say that something is true), contradictory (different – at least one thing is not correct or true), violate (to do something against the rules), fallen (dead or wounded people), retrieve (to recover), comrade (a colleague, a friend).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.