Uber in Rio – level 2
Hundreds of taxis flooded the streets of Rio de Janeiro, but they were not going anywhere. They protested against Uber.
Taxi drivers feel that their services dropped by 60% since Uber began in Brazil, and they want the app to be banned. One man has worked as a taxi driver for 36 years, and he believes that Uber must end. He does not have the money to pay his housing bill. He says his electricity is about to be cut off.
Brazil is not the first country where people protest against Uber, but the company says that it defends the choice of its customers.
Difficult words: flood (be present in large numbers), ban (stop, make illegal), defend (protect).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.