UK is leaving the EU – level 3
“This means that the UK has voted to leave the European Union.
As Chief Counting Officer for the referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union, held on the 23rd June 2016, I hereby give notice that I have certified the following:
The total number of ballot papers counted was 33,577,342. The total number of votes cast in favour of remain was 16,141,241. The total number of votes cast in favour of leave was 17,410,742.”
Difficult words: chief (most important), hereby (as a result of this document or utterance – statement), give notice (say something officially), certify (say officially), ballot paper (a slip of paper used to register a vote), cast (submit, hand in, turn in).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Read all today’s articles and translate all words which you don’t understand.
- Read the articles from the day before and see if you remember all new words.
- Listen to all today’s news.
- Stop the video after every sentence and repeat the sentence.
- Repeat point 2 for the news which you listened to the day before.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them into the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for at least 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.