Woman from Pakistan survives – level 2
A woman from Pakistan married a man she loved. However, her family didn’t agree with the marriage. Her father, uncle, brother and aunt shot her twice and threw her into the water in a sack.
The family thought that she died, but she was not dead. The woman regained consciousness and swam to shore. Some people helped her there. Around 1,000 Pakistani women are killed every year by their families in “honour killings”. Honour killing is a homicide of a member of a family. The family believes that the member brought some kind of shame upon it.
Difficult words: sack (bag), consciousness (condition of being awake), homicide (murder).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the family's decision?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Read all today’s articles and translate all words which you don’t understand.
- Read the articles from the day before and see if you remember all new words.
- Listen to all today’s news.
- Stop the video after every sentence and repeat the sentence.
- Repeat point 2 for the news which you listened to the day before.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them into the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for at least 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.