A student eats an artwork – level 2
A video captured an incident at the Leeum Museum of Art in Seoul where a South Korean art student, Noh Huyn-soo, ate a banana from an installation by the Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan.
Noh explained that he was hungry. He took the banana off the wall, ate it in front of surprised people, and then put the banana peel back. Noh thought that damaging the artwork was a form of artistic expression and thought that it would be interesting.
The banana is part of Cattelan’s installation called Comedian, and the artist regularly replaces the fruit every few days. He said that he had no problem with what Noh did.
Difficult words: installation (more things which are put together to make a larger thing), artistic expression (when an artist uses his mind to make art), replace (to take something and put it in a place instead of something else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about Noh Huyn-soo's choice to eat the banana as a form of artistic expression?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.