Africa’s GMO crops – level 3
Farmers in Kenya fear GMO crops will undermine their livelihoods.
After the worst drought in four decades, more than 4 million people are facing acute food shortages. In October 2022, the new government lifted a ban on the cultivation and import of genetically modified maize. According to officials, the change was necessary to boost crop amounts and improve food security.
Organic farmers say GMO crops threaten the sustainable tradition to recycle seeds, and the crops will force maize growers to depend on foreign companies and owners of GMO seeds. Officials applauded the success of the technology in the country’s cotton industry; the industry had collapsed, but after the government allowed GMO varieties in 2019, the industry revived.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.