An expensive watch sells at auction – level 3
On Tuesday, a Patek Philippe watch worn by the last emperor of China’s Qing Dynasty was sold for 6.2 million dollars at a live auction in Hong Kong.
The auction, which lasted about seven minutes, took place at Phillips’ new headquarters at Hong Kong’s West Kowloon Cultural and was attended predominantly by mainland and local Hong Kong collectors and representatives. Aisin-Gioro Puyi, the last emperor of the Qing dynasty, had given the watch to his interpreter Georgy Permyakov, who was Puyi’s companion when he was imprisoned in the Soviet Union between 1945 and 1950. It isn’t known when or how Puyi obtained the watch, which was completed in 1937.
A red paper fan, which Puyi personally inscribed and gifted to his interpreter in Tokyo, also sold at auction for 78,000 dollars.
Difficult words: predominantly (mainly), inscribe (to write words in a book or cut them on an object).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What other possessions of Aisin-Gioro Puyi have been sold at auction in the past?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos