April Fool´s Day concert – level 3
Police used teargas and water cannons to disperse about 2,000 of young people who gathered in a Brussels park for a fake concert that was announced on Facebook as an April Fool´s Day joke.
Organizers said that the invitation was a hoax; however, many people still showed up.
Under coronavirus restrictions in Belgium, outdoor gatherings are limited to four people. The Brussels mayor, Philippe Close, said that he could understand people wanting to go outside in the spring weather; however, such gatherings wouldn´t be tolerated. According to officials, three police officers and at least two other people were injured, and prosecutors have started an investigation to find out who was behind the Facebook post.
Belgium, with a population of 11.5 million, has recorded more than 882,000 COVID-19 cases, and 23,000 people have died.
Difficult words: disperse (to make people leave), April Fool´s Day (in many Western countries, April 1is traditionally an occasion for playing tricks), hoax (a trick in which someone deliberately tells people a lie), prosecutor (a lawyer in a court of law who tries to prove that someone is guilty of a crime).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.