Arrested because of cannabis oil – level 3
Cheered by supporters outside a court in Brisbane, an Australian man accused of giving medical-grade cannabis to his 2-year-old daughter has had his bail conditions changed so that he can visit her in hospital.
The man who cannot be named for legal reasons was arrested on January 2nd and was initially banned from seeing his daughter who was suffering from cancer.
“I’m happy to see my girl. I’m very appreciative of this support.”
He is facing charges of possessing dangerous drugs and supplying drugs to a minor after giving medical cannabis oil which is banned in Australia to his daughter who was suffering from stage 4 neuroblastoma.
Since his arrest, the father has amassed thousands of supporters through social media, some of whom were outside the court to show their support.
“It’s a bit ridiculous that cigarettes which are known tobacco, which are known to cause cancer are legal, and this medicinal marijuana is illegal?”
“All this gentleman is doing is adding to what’s already on offer for his daughter. He’s not taking anything away.”
The case has now been adjourned until February 23rd.
Difficult words: medical-grade (for medical use such as pain or sickness), bail conditions (rules which somebody who is accused of a crime must follow), initially (in the beginning), neuroblastoma (a type of cancer), amass (to make people come together), adjourn (to plan something for later).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos