Baby tapir is born – level 3
Chester Zoo has welcomed the birth of a baby tapir. The little calf was born on Monday to mum Jenny after a pregnancy period of around 13 months.
Tapirs, which are similar-shaped to pigs but related to horses, are often found in the jungles and forest regions of South America and Southeast Asia.
And this little one is the first male to be born at the zoo for 8 years. He’s already keeping zoo staff busy and they said he was up and about on his feet pretty quickly.
The baby tapir, which looks like a little hamburger, has a brown coat which features lots of white stripes and spots which will disappear as soon as he’s around six to nine months old.
Tapirs are considered vulnerable animals, as they’re threatened because of habitat destruction and hunting in South America.
Difficult words: calf (baby of a large animal), regions (places), be up and about (able to move), vulnerable (there are not many of this animal).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.