Bradley Cooper’s nose – level 3
The makeup artist for Bradley Cooper’s Leonard Bernstein biopic ‘Maestro’ issued an apology for offending some people by giving the lead character a prosthetic nose.
The aim was to achieve authenticity in portraying Bernstein, a celebrated American conductor and composer. When the film’s trailer was released, some critics felt that the nose played into Jewish stereotypes. Bernstein’s adult children defended the makeup, emphasizing that their father had a distinctive nose. Cooper, who directed, produced, co-wrote, and stars in the film, couldn’t attend the Venice premiere due to a Hollywood actors’ strike. His makeup designer Kazu Hiro expressed surprise at the criticism and apologized for hurting people’s feelings, emphasizing their goal was to respect and love Bernstein’s iconic look.
The film focusing on Bernstein’s life and relationships will be available on Netflix from Dec. 20.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think of the controversy surrounding the use of a prosthetic nose to portray Leonard Bernstein?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.