Brazil Indigenous people win – level 3
Brazil’s supreme court has delivered a historic win for Indigenous land rights by rejecting a move backed by agribusiness to limit those rights.
The court’s decision, with nine out of 11 judges voting against it, prevented the enforcement of a ‘time limit trick’ aimed at preventing Indigenous communities from claiming land they hadn’t physically occupied in 1988. The ruling was celebrated across Brazil, especially in the Amazon region, home to half of the country’s 1.7 million Indigenous citizens. Indigenous leaders and activists expressed their joy and relief, emphasizing the importance of this victory for their history and rights.
Brazil’s former far-right president Jair Bolsonaro, who had been accused of undermining Indigenous protections, had appointed the only two judges who voted in favor of the time limit thesis. The rejected proposal could have hindered legitimate land claims and threatened uncontacted tribes.
Difficult words: agribusiness (large-scale agricultural companies), undermine (lessen the power or effectiveness), hinder (make it difficult for someone to do something or for something to happen), thesis (an idea or theory).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How has this ruling been celebrated by Indigenous communities across Brazil?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.