Brits Had Dark Skin – level 2
The oldest complete skeleton found in Britain is the Cheddar Man that was discovered in 1903 and is 10,000 years old. The newest DNA analysis of the Cheddar Man revealed that first modern Britons had ‘dark to black’ skin and blue eyes.
The Cheddar Man’s ancestors left Africa about 40,000 years ago, when much of Britain was iced over. When the ice retreated 10,000 years ago, people colonised Britain. They were able to walk to Britain because it was still connected to the rest of the continent.
Scientists found this surprising and really interesting that the people’s skin remained dark for so long. Two Dutch artists created a model of how these people probably looked like.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.