Building Falls down – level 2
Last week, a building fell down in India, which killed at least eight people and injured eleven others. Rescuers tried to save several people who were stuck in the ruins.
The building had only four floors; however, it was over 30 years old. It was not in good condition; however, nobody expected that it would fall down. Local authorities planned to fix the building, which did not happen because of the coronavirus.
During monsoon season, buildings fall down quite often in India. Monsoons bring heavy rains, that damage older and poorly built buildings. This season, heavy floods in eastern India affected more than 2.4 million people.
Difficult words: ruins (the parts of a damaged building), condition (how good or bad the state of something is), monsoon (a wind that blows in parts of Asia in summer).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos