Canada Gun Ban – level 2
The Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, announced a ban on military guns. The ban starts immediately, and people in Canada must not buy, sell, and use military-grade guns.
Trudeau said that these guns have only one purpose and that is to kill as many people as possible in a short time.
However, there are many people who own these guns. Trudeau announced that there will be a two-year period that will give people enough time to adapt to the new rules. Gun owners can also return the guns to the gun shops where they bought them.
The ban comes two weeks after the worst shooting in Canadian history when a man with a gun killed 22 people in Nova Scotia.
Difficult words: ban (when something is not officially possible), military-grade (suitable for soldiers), purpose (why something exists or happens).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos