Chaplin’s World in Switzerland – level 2
After 15 years of planning, a museum called Chaplin’s World opened in a village on Lake Geneva. Chaplin spent the last 25 years of his life there with his wife and their eight children.
The museum showcases the life and works of Charlie Chaplin, the London-born comedian. The exhibition includes a Hollywood-style studio, images, and a mock “Easy Street” – a setting for one of his classic movies. There are more than 30 wax figures, including people who were important to him, like Albert Einstein, and artists, like Michael Jackson.
Charlie Chaplin and his wife had to leave the United States in the 1950s during the McCarthy Era because people thought that he like communism. The actor died on Christmas Day in 1977 at the age of 88.
Difficult words: showcase (to show), exhibition (a show in a museum), mock (not real).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.