China’s pig farms – level 3
China’s pig breeders use genetics to ensure that the world’s biggest pork consumer is self-sufficient and pork meat is lower cost.
Around a hundred pig farms enrolled in a state program that aims to develop pigs that grow faster, need less food, and make bigger litters. A farm in Mongolia participated in the program, too, and some farmers said that breeding from foreign hogs wasn’t always right for China. Unlike the Europeans, Chinese people may not like the other pigs because of different food cultures and environments.
To raise a pig in China costs about two and a half times as much as in the US. Pigs are costly because of imported feed and high levels of disease. Therefore, China has a big demand for genetic improvements; however, Chinese farmers have very little experience on genetics, nor on data collection on pigs, including litter size, loin depth, and daily weight gain.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.