Church Collapses in Nigeria – level 3
A church in the town of Uyo in Nigeria collapsed, killing 160 people. So many people were inside at the time to see the consecration of the church’s founder as the church’s bishop.
Construction workers had been working on the church and had rushed to finish in time for the big event.
People say that building collapses in Nigeria are unfortunately common because of inspectors being bribed. Officials worry that the death toll of this collapse will continue rising.
Difficult words: consecration (a special religious service), inspector (a person who checks if something is OK), bribe (give somebody money to make him or her do what you want), death toll (the number of dead people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.