Coach crashes in Japan – level 2
In Japan, a coach crashed. Fourteen people died and the crash injured another twenty-seven. The passengers were participants in a ski tour. The two drivers were among those killed.
The bus went on the wrong side of the road. It broke though a guardrail and moved metres down the mountainside.
We do not know what caused the crash. It was winter, but there was no snow or ice on the road. People are investigating the accident.
Difficult words: coach (bus used for longer journeys), ski tour (skiing across open country), guardrail (a small metal safety “wall” on the side of the road).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think caused the crash?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.