Constitution Day in Spain – level 2
The Spanish royal family celebrated 40 years since the Spanish Constitution that was approved in a referendum in 1978. Over 90 per cent of people were for it.
King Felipe VI gave a speech in the Spanish parliament, and he said that modern Spain should be proud of the constitution. Meanwhile, some people protested against the monarchy. They think that the monarchy no longer represents the needs of the working class.
Difficult words: Constitution (a document that explains the laws and ideas of a country), approve (say ‘yes’ to something), referendum (when people vote on something), monarchy (the form of government).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos