Directors make a deal with Hollywood studios – level 3
Film and television directors overwhelmingly voted to ratify a new three-year labor contract with major Hollywood studios to avoid a second work stoppage due to an ongoing writers’ strike.
The Directors Guild of America (DGA) announced that 87% of voters supported the deal with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) who represent major studios such as Walt Disney Co and Netflix Inc. The agreement includes base wage increases, higher residual payments from streaming, and protection against artificial intelligence replacing member duties. The turnout for the vote exceeded previous records.
The writers’ strike began on May 2 and it’s halted various TV and film projects. While no new contract talks are scheduled between the Writers Guild of America (WGA) and the studios, the directors’ agreement isn’t expected to impact the writers’ position. Hollywood actors are also engaged in labor negotiations with the studios, and if no agreement is reached by June 30, a strike may be called.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What impact do you expect the unions' agreement to have on the Writers Guild of America's negotiations with the studios?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.