Doctors operate without electricity – level 3
Despite Kyiv’s blackout, doctors in Ukraine performed open-heart surgery on a 14-year-old boy.
Russian missiles rained down on the Ukrainian capital city on Wednesday when the Kyiv Heart Institute unexpectedly lost light, power, and water. Hospital staff jumped into action and started a backup generator to keep the support system running. The surgeons continued to operate, using only the lights from their phones and headlamps. Despite the difficulties, the surgery was successful, and the patient’s prognosis was good.
The blackout happened amid heavy Russian bombardment in Ukraine that cut electricity and water across the capital and other parts of the country. Since October, Russia has openly acknowledged it is targeting Ukraine’s civil power and heat systems with long-range missiles and drones. The goal is to reduce the country’s ability to fight and push it to negotiate.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.