Dutch government bans phones in schools – level 3
The Dutch government has announced a ban on mobile phones, tablets, and smartwatches in classrooms starting from January 1, 2024.
The aim is to reduce distractions during lessons and promote better concentration and studying opportunities for students. However, devices will be allowed if they are specifically required for digital skills lessons, for medical reasons, or students with disabilities. Education Minister Robbert Dijkgraaf stated that although mobile phones are a significant part of our lives, they are not suitable for the classroom and scientific research supports this view.
The ban is the result of an agreement between the ministry, schools, and related organizations. Schools have the flexibility to implement the ban in their way, but if the desired outcomes are not achieved by the summer of 2024, legal rules will be enforced.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think of the Dutch government's ban on mobile phones, tablets, and smartwatches in classrooms?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.