Elephants retire from a circus – level 1
There is a circus in the USA. It is famous for its elephants. They perform in the circus.
Eleven of the elephants now retire. They go to Florida. There is a centre for them there.
In the wild, there are fewer than 40,000 elephants. Two hundred and fifty are in captivity in the United States. Thirty-nine are at the centre in Florida.
Difficult words: circus (people who travel and put on shows with animals, acrobats, and clowns), retire (to stop working), captivity (in zoos and centres).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.