Europe heatwave – level 3
Greece closed the Acropolis to protect tourists from scorching temperatures exceeding 38 degrees Celsius.
Italy faces a heatwave phase named Charon, with extreme conditions across several European countries, potentially breaking temperature records.
Last summer’s sweltering heat is believed to have caused around 61,000 deaths in Europe, prompting the need for effective measures to combat heatwaves. Southern Europe is expected to experience record temperatures next week. Experts suggest coordinating public entities, identifying vulnerable populations, and improving housing conditions in cities to mitigate the impact.
Poorer elderly individuals with health issues are particularly at risk, especially those lacking access to air conditioning.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures can be taken to reduce the risks of extreme heat conditions in Southern Europe?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.