Eurozone economy – level 3
The eurozone’s economy struggled to grow last year, avoiding a recession by a narrow margin, in contrast to the global economic expansion.
Germany, a key player in the euro area, faced an industrial downturn, impacting the entire region. Germany’s economic contraction of 0.3% in Q4 2023 contributed to the eurozone’s stagnation, marking the sixth consecutive quarter of minimal growth. Economists predict a slow recovery, with household consumption expected to drive growth as energy prices stabilize and inflation subsides. However, the International Monetary Fund downgraded its growth forecast for the euro area to 0.9% in 2024. In contrast, the United States experienced significant growth, defying predictions of a recession. The eurozone’s economic challenges are compounded by strikes and protests over inflation, with uncertainties lingering into 2025.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What factors are contributing to the slow growth and economic challenges facing the eurozone, and how do they compare to the economic situation in the United States?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.