Fake Turtle Eggs – level 2
Scientists in Central America found a new way to fight with illegal business with turtle eggs. Scientists made fake eggs and they put the eggs in the sand at the beach.
The eggs were printed on a 3D printer, and they looked like real turtle eggs. However, there was GPS technology inside.
Scientists put 101 eggs in the sand, and poachers found 25 eggs. Poachers then sold the eggs to smugglers. Scientists could see where the eggs went. Most eggs stayed in the area; however, some eggs ended up in a supermarket that was 85 miles away.
Scientists only tested the eggs; however, they hope that in the future, fake eggs could help police in the fight with poachers.
Difficult words: GPS (a satellite system that can tell where exactly someone or something is), poacher (a person who breaks the law to hunt), smuggler (a person who takes things into or out of a country illegally).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.