Fisherman is saved – level 3
A Taiwanese coast guard rescued a fisherman on Saturday after he accidentally hung himself upside down in the air on the boat’s anchor.
The fisherman got his feet entangled in the anchor line while he was operating the winch.
The more he struggled, the more tightly he became trapped.
Luckily, the fisherman was fortunate to have his mobile phone in his pocket, so he called the police for help.
When the coast guard finally arrived, the fisherman had been hanging in the air for more than an hour.
Difficult words: anchor (a heavy object on a chain which stops a boat and makes it stay somewhere), entangle (twist), winch (lifting device), struggle (try to break free).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.