Fishermen Catch a Big Fish – level 3
A group of fishermen in Peru working in the northwest of the country discovered a huge manta ray which local media said weighs just over a tonne.
People said that the ray swam into the fishermen’s net as they trawled for fish in a homemade wooden boat.
The enormous, 8-metre creature was found in the La Crove cave in waters near the border with Ecuador. A fisherman said that it was so big, that it could not be loaded onto their boat and had to be transported by a tow truck.
In ancient Peru, the manta ray, which is in the same biological order as smaller stingrays, was often represented in art where they were feared because of their size. People believed that they ate fish and sank boats, and it was not until the late 1970’s that perceptions began to change. This was when people realised that they were actually pretty placid and harmless to humans.
Difficult words: trawl (pull a trawl net – a large fishing net), enormous (very big), creature (an animal), tow truck (a truck for moving heavy things), perception (the way people think about something), placid (calm and peaceful).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you like to fish?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.