Five children in Texas – level 3
“When we were going through the process, there was maybe a 10 percent chance of having twins, so, huh, quite a surprise!”
This couple in Texas have just welcomed not just one baby, but five. The newborns Mia, Tessa, Brant, Gracie and Rayleigh were born at 29 weeks through a caesarean section.
It took around 24 medical staff to help in the birth of the babies, who tipped the scales at weights from two pounds and seven ounces to three pounds and six ounces.
“So precious. They are tiny, and I just love it. I mean, I thought I’d be scared because of all the machines and tubes, but they’re just… I just love it. I can’t wait to get my hands on them.”
Mum and dad Steve and Michelle, who also have a two-year son, used fertility drugs after Michelle had several miscarriages.
The new parents said neighbours and friends at home have promised to help when they bring the five babies home.
Difficult words: caesarean section (cutting a woman’s body to take the baby or babies out), precious (cute), tiny (small), fertility drug (drug which helps women have a baby), miscarriage (when a baby dies before it is born).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.