French bullfighters worry – level 2
The French government is planning to ban bullfighting in the country, and 75% of people agree with this ban.
The Spanish custom known as Corrida is very popular in southern France. Matadors say that it is a part of the life in the area and a tradition which people must keep alive. Bullfighting is business which matadors want to continue. For critics, Corrida is cruel, and it shouldn’t happen in modern society.
In a bullfight, a matador in a shining costume usually kills a bull with a sword. The fight is dangerous for the matador, too, but the animal almost always dies.
Difficult words: custom (something that people usually do), matador (a person who fights with a bull in a bullfight), society (people who live together in groups or communities).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos