Fukushima Ten Years Later – level 2
Ten years ago, an earthquake and tsunami destroyed the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan.
Some people worried if it was safe to eat the local food and drink water. A group of mothers decided to run a lab. They wanted to check the level of radiation and see if it was safe to give local food to their children. The women did not study science and did not understand radiation.
Now, 14 people work in the lab, and they check the level of radiation every day. People send them food and other things. The level of radiation in some foods went down since 2011, but some vegetables still have the same levels of radiation as they had ten years ago.
Difficult words: tsunami (a very big wave after an earthquake), lab (a place where scientists work), radiation (a type of energy which can go through things and it is very dangerous to living things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.