Fun school projects with magnets and metal – level 2
Science is arguably one of the most interesting and fun subjects for kids. There are endless opportunities for practical experiments that are sure to surprise and excite children’s imaginations. A great way to get into experimenting with science is with the use of magnets. The properties of magnets allow for an “invisible force” to move objects seemingly on their own!
Here is a fun experiment your kids can try using magnets.
Do you know if your cereal has magnetic minerals?
This quick and easy experiment will help you to find out.
You will need some cereal, a plastic bag, a rolling pin and a strong magnet.
Step 1: Empty some cereal into a see-through plastic bag and close it
Step 2: Use the rolling pin to crush the cereal into a fine powder
Step 3: Bring the magnet close to the powder to see if any of it is lifted by the magnet
A lot of cereals contain iron that your body needs to be healthy. If lots of your cereal is lifted by the magnet, then it must be high in iron – which is very good for you!
Once your kids have got a taste for magnets, you might want to move on to more advanced experiments. Places like RS Components sell high-tech magnetic equipment that will be sure to carry on fuelling your children’s thrill for science!
Difficult words: iron (in this case, refers to the iron in our red blood cells), rolling pin (a piece of kitchenware used to roll out things like pastry or dough), minerals (a substance needed by the human body to be healthy)
What do you think about the experiments?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.