Germany protests – level 1
Last week, the German government approves a plan. It is to help people and businesses. The help is 195 billion dollars. The prices of energy are still going up. People and businesses cannot easily pay their bills.
The government says electricity prices will have a limit. They cannot go higher. People and smaller businesses will also get some money to pay their gas bills.
Last weekend, thousands of people protest in Germany. Protesters say that the help is not fair. Poor people will still have problems. They need more help than people with higher income.
Protesters also say that the country must change. It needs to be more independent from gas and oil. It needs other types of energy.
Difficult words: limit (the highest possible amount or number), income (money which someone gets for his work), independent (when someone doesn’t need something from somebody else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos