Germany protests – level 2
Last weekend, more than 24,000 people protested in six German cities against the government’s plans to solve the energy crisis.
On Friday, the government approved a rescue package of 195 billion dollars. The package was to help households and smaller businesses pay their gas bills. The government also approved a limit on the rising prices of electricity.
Many protesters believe that such help is not enough because lower income people with will still struggle to pay their bills. The protesters said that the help wasn’t fair, and the government should distribute the money better.
Many people are asking the government to speed up its transition from fossil fuels to renewable sources of energy.
Difficult words: rescue package (a plan of financial help to a business or country), distribute (to give something to a large number of people), transition (a change from one position or state to another).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos