Giant squid – level 3
Imagine coming face to face with this!
It’s a colossal squid, hauled from the Ross Sea in New Zealand last December.
Now, though, scientists at a museum in Wellington have defrosted and examined it. Skipper, John Bennett, caught the female squid.
“The squid came up on the line, we could see it down the dips as it was coming up and all of a sudden alongside we had this beautiful perfect sample of a colossal squid.”
Kat Bolstad from Auckland’s University of Technology discovered that the squid is a female, weighing around 771 pounds (350 kg), has eyes that are 13 inches (33 cm) across and arms measuring over one metre long with large suckers.
Mr Bennett caught his first colossal squid seven years ago. It weighed 1102 pounds (500 kg) and is also on display in the same museum, though it’s yet to be decided if this squid will be on public display.
Difficult words: colossal (very big), haul (pull), skipper (captain of a ship), dip (in the water), sample (example), public display (for people to see).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.