Guns in the US – level 3
More than 8,100 people were killed from gun violence in the first five months this year across the US, which is the deadliest record in the last two decades.
Data suggest that nearly 54 Americans lost their lives every day in shootings, which was 14 deaths more than the average number in the same period in the past six years. Meanwhile, the number of shootings that have killed or injured somebody in the January – May period has passed that of the same period last year, as more than 120 Americans were killed in shootings last weekend alone.
According to experts, several factors have been adding to the increase in gun violence, including very old inequality, increasing gun ownership, and a strained relationship between police and communities. Inequalities in the economy, healthcare, and social welfare are entrenched behind racial disparity in American society.
Difficult words: welfare (the health, happiness, and financial situation of a person or group), entrenched (firmly established and difficult to change), disparity (a great difference).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos