Hamas attacks Israel – level 3
Hamas militants entered Israeli territory in the early hours of Saturday, as the group fired more than 2,000 rockets from the Gaza Strip toward Israel, according to the Israeli authorities.
Sirens went off across Israel as Hamas fired thousands of rockets and launched a ground infiltration into Israeli towns, marking a significant escalation. Israel declared a state of war in response. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to win the war. Initial reports indicated casualties among Israeli civilians and soldiers, with Palestinians also suffering casualties in Israeli airstrikes. Some Israelis were taken captive by fighters, and Hamas aimed to free the al-Aqsa mosque compound. Islamic Jihad joined the conflict, raising concerns about a regional conflagration. Israel mobilized reservist forces as the situation escalated.
Israeli rescue service said that they had removed approximately 260 bodies from a music festival that was also attacked by Hamas. Videos posted online showed festival goers running frantically and getting into cars after the attacks.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures have been taken by Israeli authorities in response to the conflicts between Hamas and Israel?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.