Heimlich manoeuvre – level 1
Henry Heimlich is a doctor. He invents the Heimlich Manoeuvre. This manoeuvre helps people who are choking.
The Heimlich Manoeuvre works very well. People all over the world use it. However, doctor Heimlich never tries it.
He is 96 years old now. He lives in a senior centre in Ohio. A friend starts to choke. He uses the manoeuvre. He saves the woman’s life. He says that it is a great feeling.
Difficult words: invent (to make, to think up), manoeuvre (the act of moving something), choke (when you cannot breathe – get air into your body).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.