Homeless people in Brazil – level 2
Last year´s economic crisis hit Brazil hard. The coronavirus is disappearing from big cities, but there are many people without homes or food.
Reports say that the number of homeless people in the country tripled since 2019, and it is now more than 66,000. Some people lost their jobs during the pandemic, and they could not pay rent. Families slept in tents and shelters on beaches, and they asked for money on busy streets. Some hotels turned into shelters to help solve the situation.
The president promised to support poor people, but the help will end this month. Experts worry that prices will continue to rise, and more people will be living on the street.
Difficult words: economic crisis (a problem that affects money and how people live for everyone in a place), homeless (a person who has no home), triple (to increase to three times the size or amount).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.