Honey on a road – level 3
Drivers in Los Angeles were left in a bit of a sticky situation when a truck carrying 42 thousand pounds of honey overturned on Monday afternoon.
The accident forced the LA freeway to back up for miles, as four lanes of the road were closed.
TV footage shows the sticky load flowing from the truck onto the shoulder of the freeway.
Due to worries of the honey running into storm drains, crews made quick work of the sticky mess and launched a clean-up operation. A tow truck also arrived to help upright the tractor.
Authorities said no other vehicles were involved in the crash and nobody was injured.
Difficult words: a bit of a sticky situation (the drivers were in a bad situation AND the drivers could not move because of the sticky honey), back up (to form traffic jams), shoulder (strip for stopping in an emergency), due to (because of), storm drain (canal where water goes to the ocean and rivers), tow truck (truck which pulls other vehicles).
Do you like honey?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.