Indonesia bans palm oil exports – level 3
Indonesia is the world’s top palm oil producer; it announced plans to ban exports of the most widely used vegetable oil.
Indonesia sells more than half of the global palm oil supply. Indonesia’s president Joko Widodo said that he wanted to ensure the availability of food products in his country, after global food inflation reached a record high. Global prices of crude palm oil reached a historic high this year due to rising demand and weak sales from producers.
Additionally, since 2018, Indonesia has stopped allowing new permits for palm oil plantation. Organizations are blamed for deforestation and destroying the habitats of endangered animals, such as orangutans.
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine could also raise the cost of packaged food globally, as Ukraine is a major crop grower. It could force governments to choose between vegetable oils in food or biofuel.
Difficult words: inflation (a decrease in the purchasing power of money), crude (raw),
biofuel (a fuel that comes from plants or animal waste).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos