Japan Goes Whaling – level 2
In 1986, The International Whaling Commission banned commercial whaling because some whale species were almost killed off.
Whales could still be killed but only for science. However, critics said that this was just a cover for illegal hunting.
Last year, Japan said that it was going to start whaling again. Last Monday, Japan began to whale again – five small whaling ships set sail. They are hunting for three whale species, and two of them are in danger of dying out.
Japan says that whaling is part of its history from the 12th century, and it is going to catch only 227 whales a year.
Difficult words: ban (make something illegal), species (an animal kind), cover (hide what someone is doing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos